GOAT^2 - Game Thread (5/15) - Day 6 - Mafia wonnered

I think Iā€™m fairly comfortable with saying vote Lemon tomorrow no matter what, actually.

I canā€™t get any further than D1 in Magnusā€™s iso before ADHD kicks in and I have to go play 10000 Splatoon, but I think a Magnus whoā€™s partnered with Vulgard would have to be doing some bizarre gameplay to exist - bussing one partner and getting into big fights with another would beā€¦ something. Itā€™s not, like, impossible, but it would point to a lack of cohesion from the wolfteam, which should be something I should be able to look for evidence of later in the iso, which will happen after my enrichment Dapples hungry feed them 10000 crab tanks hours

1 Like

Magnus executed, flips Town.
YBW killed (?), flips Town.
Execute Lemon, flips Mafia.

At that point, May should be cleared enough to be nightkilled. Flips Town.
ā€¦No, itā€™s better to spare May if youā€™re evil, as someone reasonably suspect. So Molly would be nightkilled?
Shaping up to be an interesting F3 if so.

See the way I operate my ā€œreadsā€ are distinctly different from my ā€œsolvesā€. Lemon in isolation isnā€™t super scummy, but the way she behaves in conjunction with you and the way she reacts to my proposed scumteam feels really really strange, and a Lemon/Vulgard team tracks with the behavior Iā€™ve seen from you two so far. Including these comments! I put a little clarifier there - individually. Autism hungry feed it 10000 usually the literal meaning of my words is the intended reading and the sort of implications people read into them are inaccurate.

1 Like

Since youā€™ve read that far, how would you say w!Vulgard reacts to a sudden terrible wolfcase out of the left field compared to v!Vulgard, at a time when everyone else was townreading him?

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure - itā€™s a subjective situation on D1 that I donā€™t have a strong feel for, and Iā€™ve never played a game with Vulgard before.

There are a few different ways he could react - I think heā€™s more confident than to, like, just base-level get more defensive as wolf than town, but I canā€™t say whether he lands in the ā€œtake it into more consideration and get less defensive because he knows thereā€™s something thereā€ camp, the ā€œknowing itā€™s D1 and the case isnā€™t very good and everyone else townreads him, not take it seriously and push on the person making the caseā€, camp, or somewhere in between.

Thereā€™s a lot of integer overflow with mafia reads. You go from ā€œconfidence = not reacting to a readā€ to ā€œconfidence = being bold enough to react to a readā€ to ā€œconfidence = being bold enough to not react to a readā€, etc etc onto infinity. Iā€™m sure you all donā€™t need me to tell you that, WIFOM is like, a base mafia term, but it drives me insane for sure.

Anyway, itā€™s a sort of situation that doesnā€™t have a single distinctive reaction that I think a wolf would have, which is why I didnā€™t speak on it initially. I think there is a specific kind of reaction that w!Vulgard would have to w!Magnus pushing it (wouldnā€™t take it lightly as to avoid appearing like distancing, but also wouldnā€™t hard tunnel Magnus forever about it), but I donā€™t think thatā€™s likeā€¦ a super super likely situation? I just know what it would look like if it did happen.

1 Like

Jesse what are you on about

1 Like

Counting who I would kill if I were Mafia, and anyone else.
You might be nightkilled, Iā€™m sorry for predicting it. But youā€™re pretty much towncore by everyone.

eh I really dont think im dying tongiht lmao

Magnus, what are your thoughts on Brad in particular? I feel like I have a bit of a blindspot for his slot.

1 Like

And anyone else around, of course.

1 Like

Had an assembly, Iā€™ll take a look and come back when I can.

Since we:re approaching the pointy end of the game, Iā€™ll just look at interesting posts and draw a conclusion afterward. I was planning to respond to every individual post, butā€¦ Iā€™m tired. Iā€™ll just post a couple paragraphs and look like Iā€™m doing the same amount of work.

Bradā€™s ISO

This interaction makes me think Vulgard and Brad arenā€™t aligned. The latter makes a joke read, the former presses him for it, the latter clarifies it, and this isnā€™t brought up again later. An ultimately unnecessary interaction, although Vulgard later claims this means he was solving when nobody else was, Brad was messing aroundā€¦ Iā€™m not reading too much into this.

I donā€™t exactly know how Brad plays, but given how these posts came separately, one could interpret this as TMI? It would depend on how much stock Brad seems to keep in this read later.

Although this makes me think itā€™s just Bradā€™s playstyle, so the above point is probably meaningless.

First of all, Brad townread Zorvo at the time of this post.
Secondly, given the first listed interaction between Brad and Vulgard, this post may have betrayed nervousness, although if both were evil, I think Brad wouldā€™ve either ignored this post (Zorvo was good, after all), or tried to offset the suspicion, rather than challenging Mayā€™s train of thought this way. This doesnā€™t apply regarding the improbable possibility of Brad/YBW, in which Bradā€™s response here would make sense, confront this train of thought before it becomes a problem later, heed it off entirely, although it could very easily be V either way. And I think itā€™s V.

As said with Lemon explaining the Marl read after the vote, as if rationalising it, and missing Eliza entirely, I would dislike this post at any other time. This came early D1, of courseā€¦ in any case, itā€™s important to compare these reads to Bradā€™s actions later on.

Without tinfoiling, Bradā€™s shown an inclination to go back and forth on his votes, following the voices of the people he Townreads, which comes across as good-natured to me. An evil player might want to either fly under the radar or remain in control, and Brad falls somewhere in-between, where heā€™s posting his thoughts but isnā€™t overtly leading and manipulating everyone. Of course, manipulation isnā€™t supposed to be visible.

Brad jokes about pocketing Illwei, and doesnā€™t seem to have a lot of scumreads throughout the game at any given time. Brad didnā€™t vote O.kazo, Brad hammered Marl (someone he townread), but is preparing for the case I flip Town, which evils would know for sure would happen. However, Brad comes across as the kind of player who would prep for the ā€œworstā€ anyway, soā€¦ I think heā€™s Town, May. I canā€™t be certain, but I think heā€™s Town.

1 Like

Not taking this into account, because I donā€™t know whether or not Brad canā€™t play this way as either alignment, Iā€™m not even the messenger.

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah, his progression on you (and in general) looks fairly natural, the Vulgard/Brad thing looks unaligned, etc etc etc. Itā€™s helpful to have a second opinion on these kinds of things, as I tend to just build up blindspots with people where I donā€™t know how to read them and I just keep ignoring them further into the game because I donā€™t want to have to start from scratch, and that happened to me with Brad. I had started to get a bad feeling about my insistence that he was town last night, and then I got a bad feeling about that bad feeling, and so on. Having someone elseā€™s perspective helps break me out of the tinfoil.

If you flip wolf, Iā€™ll obviously have to reconsider things, butā€¦ I donā€™t think thatā€™ll happen, and if it does, itā€™s content from you to analyze anyway.

God, if Bradā€™s town that does make last night almost a redemption for me but not quite, doesnā€™t it. Breaking away from the general town consensus ā€œbeing wrongā€ to go be wrong about something else. I guess I did that with Eliza anyway. Ah well, killing KT helped narrow down my PoE greatly, cleared Molly, all that stuffā€¦ itā€™s not a complete loss, but I should have seen he was town anyway.

1 Like

I hope everyone who thinks itā€™s me/Magnus gets a kick out of this ā€œopenwolfingā€. Funny as hell. Yes, itā€™s sus of me to say this, but I canā€™t resist pointing out things I think are humorous. I see so many jokes in this world

1 Like

The lack of reads from everyone is a general red flag, cluing me in to the likelihood of a Mafia victory.

Everyone except May thinks itā€™s Magnus/May, everyone else looks good, and it follows that you arenā€™t Mafia either, unless your partner cared to accuse you right now, leaving you at the bottom of the POE.

Weā€™ll hav to wait and see if youā€™re misexed two games in a row at a crucial juncture, at least.

My flip will reveal itā€™s not me.
I donā€™t think itā€™s you.
You donā€™t think itā€™s Brad.
YBW is consensus Town(?)
Which means it pretty much has to be between Vulgard/Lemon/Molly, and I think Mollyā€™s unlikely to flip wolf.

1 Like

In any case, kill Lemon always.

1 Like

Strange, but okay. Why not?
ā€¦Who would you expect to be nightkilled, if not you? Whoā€™s more townread than you are?

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m a bit nervous about this execution - itā€™s not entirely deadly to let you flip, presumably town, though I still have my natural fears, and it would make it a lot easier to get the actual wolves, but it does mean weā€™re in LyLo for two days straight, so I have to be right about this Lemon/Vulgard world, and I have to convince every townie about itā€¦ itā€™s a lot of pressure. I should check on YBWā€™s iso, just in case, because I think thatā€™s the one weā€™re most likely to be wrong on, if anyone.

1 Like