King of the Castle 2: Litten is King: Game Thread (GAME CANNED)

“If the majority of people cannot afford to read, then shouldn’t we make the printing press available to everyone to give them the chance?”

We have been over this.
I held everyone at gunpoint crossbowpoint.
They know how to read.

“I don’t see why we would need to give them a chance, considering most peasants cannot afford to take time out of their day to read books for luxury. Our Kingdom has been making big strides in agriculturally improving our food supply while also encouraging other countries to trade with us. If the population of people who can read is so low and the population of people who can afford to read is slightly higher, then it makes sense to use this as a way to economically grow our kingdom even further, to increase the quality of life for all the regions. The more money in the treasury, the less I have to tax people and the more the kingdom can spend on public works. Books are also carry downs, too, so in the long run, books will still become more popular.”

“I see the points in allowing people to enjoy the luxury of reading, but I think people would enjoy having a better quality of life. I think this topic can be revisited in the future as well when we see how our kingdom fares, but I see an immediate good change with what I’m advocating for. I’m open to hearing other people thoughts on the matter though.”

“But, keyword most, right? I don’t see any downside to giving those few who have the time but not the money the chance to succeed. And how exactly does C give any more quality-of-life compared to A? Sure, it gives you money, but you can spend that on whatever you want. You spent a bunch of money on betting on some gladiator match I heard, I don’t know if I’d call that a responsible use of the money you gain?”

3 Likes

Welcome to “Who’s Printing Press Is It Anyway?”, the debate where the commoners are made up and the literacy rate doesn’t matter.

Chancellor: With all due respect, sir, this is the Noble Council! Have some dignity!

1 Like

I vote option A! I think this will benefit everyone besidies the Barons, who notably cannot read.

2 Likes

VOTE: Option A

Litten whispers to his honor guard who scratched their head before whispering back

Augustin turns to Ash, head tilted in faux ambivalence. He flourishes with his hand.

“Just because his majesty has used his funds unwisely in the past does not mean he is incapable of change, your lordship. Especially with a few educational opportunities.”

1 Like

“That was a gladiator match - it’s expected that people bet on the outcome. Most of the treasury I cannot touch without approval by the council. It’s expected that there are going to times when we need to spend money to avoid a disaster, or times when we need to spend money in order to improve the quality of life - which council has the say in.”

“I don’t know the broader impacts of the printing press, but I do know that we should be focusing on the majority of people. The majority of the people have to face:

Plague of rats

Eight Chapter
Probably other expensive problems

And, the council often has to vote on constructions of certain public works, such as the

Building an observatory

Which are all vastly important of the functioning of our kingdom. The quality of life we the council provide is fixing problems and agreeing to cooperate on building public works - which we cannot do without access to adequate funds, and just because I spent unwisely money one time as a celebration, doesn’t mean that there aren’t some pressing (get punned) concerns we
will have to deal with”

1 Like

Augustin tilts his chin up and sneers.

“Of course you’re right, Countess… if it’s your ladyship’s handwriting we’re discussing. If so, I humbly believe the entire court to be illiterate.”

3 Likes

“Though, I must admit, making the printing press public may allow certain nobles to finally arrive on times to events instead of “forgetting” if we were to print times we are meeting and posting them somewhere.”

(it was the only link i didnt check beforehand)

1 Like

Blood makes… troubling ink. Despite this, I manage.

5 Likes

Augustin bows to the king.

“If I may speak, your majesty?”

“You may, you don’t need to ask for permission to speak during a council meeting. I am here simply to supervise and offer my (unsolicited) opinion on the matters brought up here.”

“I am quite wise to the stir that such an invention would cause were it to be made public. Not to mention the resource costs of getting all of the parchment to print on”

“Also, the commoners are illiterate. Why would they ever buy one of these anyway?”

VOTE: Option C

2 Likes

Augustin flourishes and performs a sitting bow.

“Of course. Your majesty may, naturally, purchase a license from himself for no cost.”

1 Like