Weekly Monday Discussion #7 - Defining Bastard

I might consider it fair game if there was reasonable way to determine this even without it being expressly stated

For example, if the SK’s kills were flavored expressly along the lines of “[Player] was found dead after being stabbed with a knife.” and the Gunsmith player’s role wasn’t public but it expressly read “Determine if your target has a gun they could kill with.” I think that would be not outright misleading

1 Like

The first line is about leaving the door open for the explicitly bastard stuff. Saying you’re going to live balance but then favoring one faction means you just lied about it being only live balancing.

1 Like

any setup can be bastard if you just write “this is a bastard game” in the OP

2 Likes

which game was it that was heavily advertised as bastard but then was just super standard vanilla

idr

1 Like

so true

4 Likes

anyways shoutout Ghost Town 2

gotta be my favorite bastard game on FoL

1 Like

(yes nbow that did happen, yes it is exactly what you’d expect)

1 Like

What would you define my games as?

i see these definitions as something that should be used for players signing up in the thread to get a better idea of what the game will be like. the definition you provided for bastard is something that would be more applied after the game which doesn’t really help hosts classify their games or players understand what a game is going to be like

2 Likes

I like nbow’s definition because it covers host behaviors and setup traits that I think are less well understood to be bastard when those things historically aggravate the shit out of peopel

2 Likes

Ah yeah I meant to cover ambiguity as being potentially problematic. Like both opaque language and straight up omission.

2 Likes

I see defining this, as can be seen in the op, as basically protection for people signing up
If they don’t know the host
If the op isn’t forthcoming with information otherwise

You’ll at least know what you’re getting into

4 Likes

*paranoia increases*

1 Like

were you in that game

Easy. Have a role that can do crazy stuff, e.g., “gain an ability the host thinks the user would never want to have”.

Doesn’t matter if the setup is open or not; still bastard because of unfairness against the player.

IDEK which game you are talking about.

I’m not sure I understand your issue here exactly. Like can you not use these to lookahead and see if your game is going to classify as bastard or whatever? And yeah my definition is highly subjective because that’s the nature of the beast. Bastard games are Games That Piss People Off more than they are anything else.

1 Like

I like the idea of nbowie’s definition + some wording changes

1 Like

I probably care a bit too much about how wordy osie’s definition is (I just copy pasted the thing with the same formatting)

1 Like

For what it’s worth I wrote it to be as abstract as possible. It should absolutely be made more concrete and FoL specific because it’s so highly dependent on community culture and norms.

3 Likes